Couple of weeks ago, HTC has announced their flagship device, HTC 10, which is powered by 2.15 GHz Quad core Snapdragon 820 and Adreno 530. In addition it has 4GB of RAM and 32GB/64GB of onboard storage. The device has a premium build quality with some awesome specs and features, which you can read here.
It has 5.2 inch Super LCD5 display with Quad HD display. It runs on latest Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow with optimized Sense UI. The device is backed with 3000mAh battery.
WARNING: Please proceed only if you have enough knowledge about rooting Android devices, as it may soft or hard brick your device. Proceed with your own risk, we are not responsible for any harm done to your device while rooting the phone. Rooting a phone also void the manufacturer’s warranty.
Steps Before Rooting
- Charge your phone at least 60% or above.
- Backup all your phone data.
How To Root HTC 10
- Unlock your Bootloader via HTCdev.
- Download and install Universal ADB drivers from here (16.27MB).
- Download Android SDK tools from here. Install Android SDK in Desktop or any other place.
- Now download the modified version of SuperSU from here. Place the file in your phone (remember the location).
- Download twrp-3.0.2-1-pme.img from here (43.6MB). Rename the file to “twrp.img”. Now copy this file to “platform-tools” folder inside Android SDk folder.
- Go to your phone Settings > About and tap 7 times on Build Number to enable developer settings. Press back and go into “Developer Options” and enable “USB debugging”. Accept any option that pop ups in your phone.
- Now visit the place you have installed Android SDK. Open folder “platform-tools” and then press shift along with right click at any blank space inside the folder. Now click “open command window here”. This will start command prompt with the default address pointing to Android SDK folder.
- In the command prompt type adb reboot bootloader
- This will boot your phone in fastboot mode.
- Now type fastboot flash recovery twrp.img in command prompt.
- The above command will install TWRP in your HTC 10. Now type fastboot reboot to reboot your phone.
- Now press and hold Volume down button along with Power key, and then release power button (don’t release volume down button for 3-4 seconds). This will enter the device in Fastboot mode. Now select recovery option to enter TWRP.
- Now select “Install” in TWRP and select the SuperSU zip file that you downloaded in 3rd step.
- Now reboot your phone by visiting [Reboot] and then [System]
- This will restart your device and it will take some time to boot (around 10-15 minutes).
- Congrats, you have successfully rooted your HTC 10.
Extra steps, thanks to XDA:
- Run SunShine for s-off.
- After SunShine the device will appear to be encrypted, boot into TWRP recovery choose wipe, then choose format data (FORMAT do not just wipe).
If you are having any problem in rooting your HTC 10, then do comment below. If you bricked your device somehow, then you can download the factory image for your device from here (the factory image is now available) and can flash it and your phone will go back to factory state.