Moto X Play has been launched in India yesterday exclusively via Flipkart. The 16 GB variant is priced at Rs. 18,499 while the 32 GB version is priced at Rs. 19,999. It is said to be an upgraded version of Moto G 3rd gen in terms of battery, processor, camera and screen and is eligible to be placed in Moto X series. Many of you have already placed the order for Moto X Play and soon you will get the device in your hand.
Many power users might feel the requirement of rooting the device, so we have written the tutorial for unlocking the bootloader, installing TWRP and then rooting the phone. The complete step by step process is provided below. Before proceeding make sure that you have already taken the backup and your phone is charged at least 60% or more.
***Rooting will void your phone’s warranty, proceed with your own risk.
Unlock Moto X Play Bootloader
- First of all enable USB Debugging, Go to Settings > About Phoneand then tap 7 times on Build number. This will enable “Developer Options”. Go to Settings > Developer Options and enable USB Debugging
- Now visit this link (you need to register with Motorola) which provide the complete guide to unlock your bootloader, the guide is provided by Motorola itself.
- Install the Android SDK. Download here
- Install the latest Motorola USB Drivers on your desktop. Download here.
Install TWRP and Root Moto X Play
- Download TWRP recovery file. Download here. (size 10.07 MB)
- Download SuperSU and place the zip file in phone. Download here
- Place the downloaded recovery image file in your Fastboot Folder.
- Go to fastboot mode by pressing and holding volume down and the power button for 5 seconds.
- Connect your phone to computer.
- Open command prompt and execute the following commands.
- fastboot flash recovery motox_play_twrp.img
- fastboot boot motox_play_twrp.img
- Now you will be in TWRP screen. Click “Install” and browse it to SuperSu zip file and install it.
- This process will install SuperSU and will root your phone.
- Reboot your phone, you have successfully rotted your Moto X Play.
For any queries related to Moto X Play rooting, please comment below. You can install any root checker application from Play Store to check that you have achieved the root access in your device.